The purpose of this website is to help people gain an appreciation and understanding of images of the Buddha so they become a useful part of their Buddhist spiritual pracitce.
Most images are from the Theravada tradition, but others are included as well. Most images are of Gautama Buddha, also known as Shakyamuni or Sidhartha.
There are many ways to explore the site. One way is the tags at the bottom of all of the pages to see images with similar characteristics.
Images come from a variety of sources:
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (NYC)
- Freer Sackler – Smithsonian (Washington, D.C.)
- Harvard Art Museums
- British Museum (London)
- Yale University Art Gallery
- Rijks Museum (Amsterdam)
- Getty (Los Angeles)
- Victoria and Albert (London)
- Brooklyn Art Museum (NYC)
- Princeton University Art Museum
- National Museum of Korea